Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Gurney Demo and Show

I have had a very interesting past week! First I was able to attend an amazing talk and demo by James Gurney at my former college, and then I was featured in a show in Atlanta.

For those who don't know (where have you been hiding?!) James Gurney is an amazing illustrator who is most famous for writing and illustrating the books 'Dinotopia', has received multiple awards and holds an amazing blog which is incredibly instructive for all artists. The name of the blog is Gurney Journey and can be visited here.

Anyway, here are some photos of James Gurney's demo in which he showed us his method for sketching in watercolor and watercolor pencils:

 James Gurney working

 Final sketch

I also sketched him as he was working. He agreed to sigh my sketch at the end of the demo!:



And here are some photos from my show:



I enjoyed the show a lot. I brought my sketchbooks, and for me the most interesting part was watching people flip through them. It was interesting, I would have thought that they would just look through them quickly but instead they looked carefully at every single page. I guess I didn't realize there was so much to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment